Radioplayer supports a variety of different stream types on our various platforms.
When playing in Flash, the browser player supports:
- Shoutcast/Icecast MP3,
- MP4/M4U streams delivered by HTTP (so long as it can be played in Flash)
- RTMP streams
We accept playlist files too:
- For HTTP streams: SMIL, ASX, XSPF, PLS, M3U including recursive playlist links
- For RTMP streams: XSPF and SMIL only
When playing in HTML5, the browser player supports:
- Shoutcast/Icecast MP3 over HTTP only
- No playlists, RTMP, MP4 or AAC support
There is no minimum or maximum bitrate for browser-based playback.
Radioplayer recommends: 160kbps MP3 as the most versatile and compatible with multiple devices
We require stations to provide a stream of under 48k, mp3 or aac for inclusion in the app. In addition, stations can supply a high-bitrate stream for Wi-Fi users.
The app supports:
- Shoutcast/Icecast MP3
- AAC delivered by HTTP
We accept the following playlist formals:
- PLS, M3U8 including recursive playlists
The maximum bitrate for the “low bitrate” compulsory stream is 48kbps.
Radioplayer recommends: 48k aac for the low bitrate stream and 160k mp3 for the high bitrate stream (this could involve re-using the web console stream)